Homeshare Program in Melbourne’s North West
Homeshare is a free, government-funded program delivered by Care Connect in Melbourne’s North-West.
The Homeshare program brings together older householders who could benefit from help and companionship at home, with a homesharer who is prepared to lend a hand in return for affordable accommodation. Homeshare exists to increase the options for older people to remain at home with independence and dignity, while fostering intergenerational understanding and providing a viable housing option for mature individuals in need.
How does Homeshare work?
The Householder provides a bedroom and shared facilities in their home. In exchange, the Homesharer provides approximately 10 hours per week of low-level practical assistance such as cooking, cleaning, shopping and gardening, as well as providing company and the added security of having someone else sleeping in the home.
Care Connect will work with you (whether you are a Householder or a Homesharer) to determine your individual needs and requirements. If the program suits you, we will then match you with someone in the program and establish an Agreement, manage the matching process and provide ongoing support for you and your match.
Both Householders and Homesharers are carefully interviewed and screened before being accepted to the program.
- The ability to remain in the home and retain independence
- Help with daily living tasks
- Companionship and the alleviation of loneliness and isolation
- Assistance in caring for household pets
- The security of having someone in the house
- Increased community participation and connectedness
- Contribution to positive and healthy ageing
- Alleviate pressure on families and provide them with security and peace of mind.
- Access to a secure housing option
- The alleviation of financial pressure
- The ability to live affordably in the city
- Companionship and the opportunity to live in a home environment
- The security of living with another person
- Connection to the community
- Integration into a new country and culture.
- Over 65 years or over 50 for Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander people.
- Live in suitable accommodation in Melbourne’s North West
- Would benefit from companionship and practical support.
- Over 18 years
- Reliable and mature adults interested in supporting an older person
- Come from a range of backgrounds
- Can commit to the homesharing for a minimum of 6 months.
How can I find out more?
Contact the Homeshare team via 1800 692 464, send us an email, or complete the form below to get started in taking part in this exciting program.