Household support in exchange for accommodation
A new approach in supportive housing in Melbourne, Homeshare is a free government-funded program delivered by Care Connect in Melbourne.
Household support may include meal preparation, transport to appointments, household cleaning, light gardening, shopping or help with the computer. Homeshare services do not include personal care or administering medication. The homesharer will also contribute to utility bills and purchase their own food.
How do these services work?
Our coordinators will work with you (whether you are a householder or a homesharer) to determine your individual needs and requirements. If the program suits you, our coordinators will then match you with someone in the program and establish an Agreement.
Throughout the program, the Homeshare Coordinator will:
- maintain contact with all involved parties
- provide ongoing support
- monitor the match.
Householders and homesharers must:
- take part in a telephone interview
- take part in a face-to-face interview
- agree to a referee check
- apply for a Working with Children Check and Police Check.
- be prepared to commit to the program for a minimum of six months
- sign a Homeshare Agreement outlining their obligations.
Homeshare services have operated internationally for more than 25 years, but this is the first time it has been offered across Melbourne’s North West.
How much does it cost?
This program is:
- a free government-funded program
- supported by funding from the Commonwealth Home Support Program (CHSP).
Who are householders?
- are people aged over 65
- live in suitable accommodation in Melbourne’s North West
- can benefit from companionship and practical assistance including cooking housework, gardening, shopping and transport.
Who are homesharers?
- come from a range of backgrounds
- are reliable and mature and interested in supporting an older person
To find out about more about this program’s reach across Australia, Homeshare Australia and New Zealand Alliance (HANZA)
Other Victorian providers: